Monday, May 18, 2009

Are there any good parenting books out there???

When I got married, there were a lot of good couples books. Funny and real life. Not that ooey gooey stuff that makes you want to vomit. They use words like communication and blah blah blah. Then, when I got pregnant - they had the best books. Jenny McArthy - Belly Laughs and there was The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy. All these books dealt w/ real things in a funny way and made you realize that what you are going through is the same thing almost everyone else is going through and we are just trying to figure it out.

I need that for parenthood! Tonight for example, I'm sitting at the dinner table watching my 5 1/2 year old wiggle all over the chair. She has salad dressing hanging off her lip and her fork is backwards in her mouth. And she's got her fingers stirring her water and now she's not even sitting in her chair. It's more like LEANING on it w/ one leg trying to kick mine. And I just want to scream because I tell her over and over again - please sit like a normal person. And she looks at me and burps. And laughs. And then my 3 year old thinks that's hysterical. And I just want to know - does this happen in anyone else's house? Because I buy the books. I bought one for Emily called The Strong Willed Child. And I'm also reading "Beyond Time-Out". And this book says it's wrong to label children. There aren't any strong willed children, there are just weak minded parents. Really? I don't think I'm weak minded. I think I'm just worn out! I think I try and try and try to do the best I can and then I read these books and wonder if I'm doing it all wrong. And this book says do this and this book says do that and before I know it, I'm just dizzy and more confused than I was before I picked up the book. Honestly - one of my favorite shows out there is Supernanny. I know it sounds silly but honestly it's because it makes me feel better about myself. I might sometimes think my kids are so misbehaved but then I watch this show and realize - no. My kids are no where near this bad. hahaha.

And then at night, when it's bedtime. I just look at them when they are sleeping. And it breaks my heart because I know they are just growing up and trying to figure it out themselves. Like we all do. So, the best I can do is just love them. Kiss them and hug them and tell them every day that I'm so proud that they are mine. And hopefully, they will turn out okay.

No comments: