Sunday, November 23, 2008

Is there a such thing as the Terrible Five's?

Is there any such thing as The Terrible Fives? I just ask because Madi has been going through the worst stage lately. I remember when she was 3 and 4 and how she would do what she was told. Maybe not the first time but it was usually because she just was too busy to listen. But you could look at her and tell her - hey get your shoes on and she would do it. If she was playing with her friends, she would play sweetly and share. She would let anyone take anything away from her and not think twice about it. And then she turned 5. I don't know if it is her age or maybe this new independence she has with being in Kindergarten - maybe learning things from other kids. But she will look right at me when I tell her not to do something and then completely ignore me and do whatever she was doing. Not only that, but she will cut those eyes at me and give me this look that says - "Try to stop me." I swear, sometimes I think I've lost my mind with her. I really don't know what to do. Recently, she had a friend sleep over at the house. Madi was so bossy with her. She hid in the closet when the other little girl wouldn't do what she said. This went on and on. I was MORTIFIED. Everything I said to Madi, she just melted into a ball of tears. I'm thinking - Emily at 2 1/2 acts better than this. Well - okay - not really but still!
 
I've tried a few things. We tried a point system but she ended up negative points. We bought her a doll she wanted and told her she could have it after earning enough points to get it. Again - she went into negative. I've put her in time out. I've spanked her. I've threatened Santa Clause will never come to the house ever again except to bring toys for Emily. Screaming works but it hurts my voice too much. And I end up feeling like maybe she's missed the message. So - this past week, I've been giving her "one warning". I'll tell her to do something - she doesn't listen. So, I'll say - this is your warning - blah blah blah. So far - it's worked okay. But the point system worked once too.

1 comment:

... said...

How funny, I'm surprised the "I'm gonna tell Santa" doesn't work. When I was a kid, thats all it took. hahah