Tuesday, November 18, 2008




So - Wednesday before Halloween, I was at work in the filing room doing some much needed filing. Let's just say, there were piles and piles of paperwork that I was behind on. So, I've put away this day to finally do what I dread doing most. When I get back to my desk to take a break from it, I have about 15 missed calls between my work phone and cell phone. While I'm listening to my voicemail - the nurse from Madi's school is calling saying I need to call her back IMMEDIATELY. I receive a text message from Beau that reads "Call me - ASAP!" So, by this point, I'm kind of freaking out. I grab my purse and I scream to Reddy that something has happened to Madi and I have to go. Poor Reddy - he sees how frantic I am and he says - do you need me to drive you??? Probably wouldn't have been a bad idea but unnecessary. As I'm going down the toll road 80 mph, I'm on the phone with the nurse who tells me that Madison fell off the monkey bars at school - face first. There is blood involved and she isn't sure how bad it is. So, I hang up the phone and call the pediatrician nurse. She tells me to take her down to the Emergency Clinic and she might have to go to "Plastics". I'm about to pass out. So, I get to the school and I just nearly burst into tears. The only reason I hold myself together is because I know that if I start to cry, I might really scare Madi to death. But it's not nearly as bad as what I thought. There is blood on her clothes and her upper lip has a cut that won't stop bleeding but the nose isn't bleeding anymore even though it's swollen. I bundle her up and thank the nurses, get her to the car and we go straight to the ER. All Madi asks if she has to get a shot. She BEGS and PLEADS for no shot. I can't make that promise because I keep thinking - maybe stitches? I made it until I was a Junior in High School before I got stitches. Well - we get there and this has to be the best ER in the world - brand new, super clean and no wait. We walk right in and the doctor is super nice. In fact, they are all falling over themselves to be accommodating to us. (They gave us an evaluation card when we left so I guess they were putting their best stethoscope forward.) Madi ended up getting the "dermabond" which is the glue. I should have warned them that Madi is a picker. She will pick at a scab or anything that looks interesting enough. So, you can imagine the glue wasn't a huge success but I got her out of there without any stitches.

I'm not sure if it's going to scar or not. I hope for her sake that it goes away or shrinks down. It's not that noticeable but for a girl - EVERYTHING is noticeable. Madison and monkey bars really don’t mix. I'm sure it won't be her last trip because that's just how she is. Clumsy doesn't even cover it. And I thought I was bad. :)